Saturday, March 26, 2011

Looking to make a few extra bucks while you are in Sydney?

Before I left for Sydney I went to talk to my bank about what the best way to go about banking in Sydney would be. Personally, I have an account at Bank of America and they told me that Westpac bank in Sydney is affiliated with BofA and I would not be charged for withdrawals using my debit card at a Westpac ATM. However, if I went to any other ATM or paid at a store using my debit card I would be charged outrageous fees! I highly suggest you talk to your bank in the States before you study abroad! Also, I would get some foreign currency to take with you! A couple other things you have to be aware of are the currency exchange rates and international transaction fees. These can really add up!
I keep an eye on the currency exchange rates by having the daily exchange rates emailed to me from the Universal Currency Converter. Subscribe to have the daily foreign currency exchange rates emailed to you! It is so easy!

*A quick tip…
Whenever I see that the US Dollar gets more Australian Dollars per US unit, I withdrawal money from my account. One time I made $6! This may not seem like a lot, but it is technically like free money! Go ahead and treat yourself to some ice coffee. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment