Monday, April 4, 2011

Just an Ordinary Clumsy Rainy Day

There was a spell of dreadful rainy weather here in Sydney that lasted about a week. One day when I was walking through Newtown to get lunch, I was weaving my way through the crowds and trying to walk quickly through the rain. However, the sidewalks in Newtown are not concrete, instead they are tiled.
Tile + Rain = Super Slippery.
As I was walking past a cafĂ© that was full of people, both sitting inside and outside, I slipped and fell to the ground. I was relieved that nobody laughed, instead three people came up to me and asked if I was okay. I was super embarrassed, but I was also pleased that people were willing to help and make sure I was okay. I think this is just one example of Australia’s culture; people are so genuine and willing to help without being asked. When I told everyone I was alright and said thank you, they replied with a simple “No worries!” Through my clumsiness, I have learned about Australia’s people and laid back culture, nobody laughed at me, instead they rushed to help. I wonder what would have happened in the exact same situation in the US?

No comments:

Post a Comment