Sunday, April 17, 2011

Hyde Park – Where do you hide your giant chess set?

As I was walking around Sydney’s CBD (Central Business District) on a random Monday afternoon, I made a stop to roam around Hyde Park. Hyde Park is accessible from St. James train station or if you just decide to roam around the heart of Sydney like I did, you will stumble upon it. One of the focal points of Hyde Park is the Archibald Fountain, which is absolutely wonderful, especially if you are fascinated by sculpture and mythology like I am. The Fountain honors Australia’s contribution in France in World War I; it was donated by J.F. Archibald in 1932. I was particularly interested in finding the Fountain because the lecturer in my religious studies class mentioned it in a discussion of Greek mythology and the Bull of Knossos.
Right behind the Archibald Fountain is St. Mary’s Cathedral. The Cathedral has a brilliant Gothic architectural design and is lovely to see and experience the atmosphere around the Cathedral when the bells chime. I was lucky to get there as they were chiming and it was so welcoming and peaceful. I walked through the Cathedral (unfortunately, I could not take any pictures of the inside) and the stained glass and altars were amazing. I definitely suggest walking through if you have the chance!
I have heard about Hyde Park having a huge chess set (kind of reminiscent of Harry Potter and that one scene in the Alice in Wonderland movie with Johnny Depp). I was searching for the chess set but I could not find it! I was so disappointed! I walked through the entire park! I will have to do some research and set forth on a quest to find the chess set. I will find it before I leave Sydney! I will keep you posted ;)
I recommend taking a stroll through Hyde Park and St. Mary’s Cathedral whenever you have a day to wander and explore through the heart of Sydney. The best part is that it is free to explore, and you will experience some of Sydney’s history while you relax and enjoy the sights and the atmosphere.

1 comment:

  1. The fountain is spectacular! Thanks for sharing the pictures!!

    ReplyDelete