Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Off To See What All the Fuss Is About...

Now that I knew how to get to the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, I was anxious to see these monumental landmarks. The Bridge and the Opera House are located at Circular Quay, which can be reached by either train or bus. I decided to opt for the train and bought a return ticket to Circular Quay for $3.20.

(**Tip: When you get your Uni Student ID Card, you have the option to apply for “concession” which gives you discounts for bus, train, and ferry fares, as well as at some food places!)
When I got off of the train you can see the Bridge and the Opera House from the station. I was so excited! I finally felt like I was in Sydney, Australia! I was finally able to witness probably one of the most photographed and renowned landmarks in Australia.
The Bridge is absolutely breathtaking! Here are some fun facts about the Sydney Harbour Bridge:

+ It is nicknamed the “Coathanger”
+ The Bridge was opened on March 19th, 1932
+ The Bridge took six years to construct
+ It contains six million hand driven rivets
+ The Sydney Harbour Bridge is the world’s largest bridge, spanning 1,149 meters!

The Opera House is also a fantastic sight! The design is meant to evoke thoughts of a ship’s sails. While I was there, there were two different couples that had just gotten married that were posing and taking pictures on the Opera House steps. It was amazing! Here are some facts about the Opera House:


+ The Opera House was opened by Queen Elizabeth II on October 20th, 1973
+ The roof has over one million tiles
+ The Opera House conducts 3,000 events every year
+ It hosts an annual audience of two million people for its performances!

After visiting the Sydney Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, I feel like I have finally witnessed what the world considers so extraordinary about these landmarks. I can now say that I have seen the world’s largest bridge and I have climbed the steps of the Sydney Opera House! What a memorable day!
Another benefit about seeing the Bridge and the Opera House is that you can enjoy these remarkable sites for FREE!! All you have to pay for is getting there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment