Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Iced Coffee, Timetables, and Accommodation – 22/02/2011

On Tuesday morning, international students were scheduled for another orientation. As Erica and I were walking to campus, we stopped to get a coffee. We decided to stop at a shop called Charlie Lovett. I had heard before leaving the US that Australia has a wonderful coffee culture. I ordered an iced coffee and to my delight it was not only coffee…iced coffee is literally coffee with ice cream! It was absolutely delicious!
Australia’s iced coffee is like a heavenly cross between a frappachino and a milkshake.
I have a whole new outlook on the term “iced coffee” after this experience. However, iced coffee is a bit more expensive than for example, a mocha. But if you are in Sydney, I highly suggest splurging on an iced coffee at least once! They run about $4.50 -$5.00 (comparable to a Venti drink at Starbucks)– Be careful though, you may get addicted! Don’t say I didn’t give you fair warning…

The orientation at the University was designated for picking units of study (classes). All of the study abroad and exchange students met in the Eastern Avenue Lecture Theatre; we were told by the staff of the International Office to introduce ourselves to our neighbor. My neighbor was a girl from Denmark; she was very friendly and she had a wonderful personality. We instantly clicked and made plans to meet up again the next day. I still can’t believe how much diversity there is among the study abroad and exchange students! It is absolutely wonderful!

Eventually, the study abroad students were filtered into smaller, more manageable groups. In these smaller groups we learned how to select our units of study and how to create our timetables (which is your schedule). Timetables are created electronically through the University’s website. I thought it was interesting that the computer generates your timetable for you, instead of the student independently picking classes based on times and what day of the week is preferable. However, you are allowed some opportunities for customization; for example, you can try to block out one whole day, or you can block out two days for five hour time periods. Unfortunately, if the class you want to take is only offered on a day you do not want to have class, you will need to find different units. The whole system seemed kind of backwards to me. At UCI, I look at times and days first; at Sydney, you have to keep inputting different classes and see how they turn out on your timetable.

After learning about scheduling and making my timetable, I went to get my picture taken for my student card. They told me I could pick it up next week in the Student Card Centre in Fisher Library.

Then, Erica and I walked back to her place and I gathered my luggage and caught a taxi to take me to my student housing accommodation. This cab fare was not as bad, it cost $11.30.

When I first brought all of my luggage up the narrow staircase to my assigned room, the furniture was set up in awkward positions, and there was some dusting and cleaning to be done before I could unpack all of my belongings. I walked up the street and found a market where I could buy some cleaning wipes and toilet paper (necessities, of course!). The total for the two items was $5.76. When I arrived back at my room I began cleaning and I re-arranged the furniture for better feng shui and practicality. Then, I unpacked all of my things. I had brought bedding, pillows, pictures and letters from home, which made the room feel more welcoming, comfortable and familiar. (Bringing your own bedding saves you from buying bedding in Australia! – However, if you decide to opt for purchasing bedding while you are in Sydney, you must look for “Manchester” shops or departments, which carry bedding).

BEFORE




AFTER! (Yay!)


After I completed my unpacking, I felt better about the space I would be calling “home” for the next five months in Sydney. Accommodation is expensive in Sydney; I was lucky to be accepted to live in university owned housing. University owned housing has many benefits:

1. It is within walking distance to campus
(no need a car, public transport, or sore feet)
2. It is available during the entire time you will be enrolled in Uni
(more stability)
3. You will be living with other Uni students
(your flat mates = new friends!)

I was able to arrange to have a single room in a terraced house for $168 per week. The basic set-up is 4 rooms and two bathrooms with a shared living area and kitchen - kind of like an apartment. Some students wait until they arrive in Sydney to find accommodation, but I highly recommend applying for university owned housing, or housing that is designated just for students!

1 comment:

  1. Love the pictures! Always look forward to the next blog!! Love you :)

    ReplyDelete