Monday, February 28, 2011

First Day on Campus at Sydney Uni!

21/02/2011
*Quick tip: How to write dates in Australia (day/month/year)

I woke up before my alarm went off in the morning on Monday. My body clock had still not fully adjusted to Sydney, Australia time. Since 7:30 a.m. in Sydney is 12:30 in the afternoon in California, I felt like I had slept in way too long. I woke up and got ready for my International Student Orientation. I did not know what to expect, but I was really excited!

Since the day before was super hot and humid, I dressed in shorts and a t-shirt along with my silver sparkly TOMS. However, when I looked out the window of Erica’s apartment, the weather appeared grey and gloomy with a chance of rain; so, I brought a light jacket just in case. We went downstairs to the lobby and asked the help desk where exactly to walk in order to reach the University. The man at the desk gave us a map and drew a path directing us how to get to the campus. He described the Uni as “lovely,” and said if we walked 15 to 20 minutes we couldn’t miss it.

Erica and I began to walk the pathway he marked for us as it began to rain softly. Thankful that I brought my jacket, I tried to shield my day planner from getting wet. However, I noticed that a lot of people walk around in Sydney to get to their destinations and they were wearing the same attire as me; very few people had umbrellas.

We continued to walk for 15 minutes and then I set sights upon exactly what was described as “lovely”.
“Lovely” was an understatement.
In the distance, I could see a tall and magnificently detailed building with a clock and a flag hoisted at the top. The building was framed by a pathway of greenery and stairs that led up to its entrance. I was in awe of the breathtaking view. THIS is exactly why I chose Sydney Uni. I immediately felt honored and privileged to be able to say that I studied at a University so spectacular. It was a castle!
We made our way through the entrance and then followed signs and pathways to the stately Great Hall, where orientation would take place.
The Great Hall was regal looking; the ceilings were arched and adorned with ornately carved wooden angels; the windows displayed beautiful stained glass with incredibly intricate detail. The Great Hall conjured thoughts of the Great Hall in Hogwarts from Harry Potter. The Great Hall at the University of Sydney is recognized as an iconic Victorian Gothic style landmark in Australia. I read in the University Student Union’s magazine that the only time students will ever see the Great Hall is for their graduation ceremony. This fact made me feel even more thankful that I was allowed the opportunity to see inside the majestic Great Hall.
There were 627 study abroad and exchange students in attendance for the International Student Orientation. A majority of the students were from the USA, followed by Canada; however, 39 countries were represented by the group of students. This fact amazed me! I was fascinated by the level of diversity that one room could hold.
We were welcomed by a couple of demonstrations from the Aboriginal Thulli Dreaming Dancers. They were painted with white paint and played the Didjeridu as well as made music with their mouths and their feet. It was very interesting to watch. You could feel the emotion and the passion they channeled into their dancing. Their mission is to inform their audience about Aboriginal culture and to pay respect to their elders and ancestors.

After the performance and some formal introductions, we were released to have morning tea and cake. During this break, I met some girls from New York as well as a guy from Chile. It is fun and exciting to meet people from all over the world that have come to Australia for a common purpose: an education.

After the orientation, I went to a housing orientation where I was given some free toothpaste and I was able to collect my room key. By that time, Erica and I were tired and ready to find some dinner. We decided to eat at another pub; at this pub there were $12 dinner deals, but I opted to split a steak sandwich and fries and enjoy free iced water. This allowed me to eat a filling dinner for only $6. Splitting a meal is one simple way you can save money! At this pub I discovered Tomato Sauce, it is not ketchup as you may suspect, it is better! I definitely recommend it! For a little extra flavor you can mix Tomato Sauce with BBQ sauce ;) mmm mmm good!

No comments:

Post a Comment