Tuesday, May 24, 2011

The Ultimate IMAX Experience

Here is a fun fact: Sydney is home to the largest IMAX screen in the world! On a rainy day, a movie is always a nice way to get out of the house and do something fun, yet stay dry while you are in the theater. In the handy Sydney City Guide I picked up at the airport, there was a voucher for 20% off a showing at the IMAX Theater in Darling Harbour. Because there is only one screen, there are a limited number of showings per day and only a few movies available to watch. When I went, there were two options for the day: Hubble 3-D and Born To Be Wild. I decided on Born To Be Wild, which features elephants and orangutans and is narrated by none other than Morgan Freeman. I went to the IMAX Theater at 10:00 am and the next showing of Born To Be Wild was not until 2:15 pm! However, I was excited about being able to experience the largest IMAX screen in the world and to see the adorable elephants and orangutans in 3-D.
Of course, to see a movie in an Australia theater is quite expensive compared to the movie prices in the US. An IMAX 3-D movie is even more pricey! However, I had the 20% off voucher and they gave me a student discount after showing my ID card! I ended up paying $13.60, but that is much better than the standard price of $19.50. The movie itself was only 50 minutes long. However, full length features are even more expensive: an adult ticket costs $28.50.

One little random fact about me is that I have a little obsession with elephants. They represent wisdom, they bring good luck, and they are so cute! I was actually gifted a sponsorship of an orphaned elephant in Nairobi, Kenya by my boyfriend and his family. The sponsorship is done through the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust. With a one-time donation of $50 you can foster an orphaned elephant of your choice and receive monthly updates about the elephant’s progress and rehabilitation in order to successfully transition back into the wild. You also receive a wonderful watercolor painted by Angela Sheldrick each month. You can find more information about the program here. It is a very worthy cause!
To my pleasant surprise, the elephants that were featured in the Born To Be Wild movie were from the David Sheldrick Wildlife Trust! I was so excited, I could barely contain myself. I was able to watch what the program does and see the elephants that I am helping with my sponsorship! It is truly amazing and touching how these majestic creatures form close bonds with the keepers and the other orphaned elephants. The orangutan program was also very heartwarming and fun to watch. However, I favor the elephants…
The movie was fantastic, I did not want it to end! I had a wonderful time and the 3-D experience was better than any 3-D movie I have ever watched! The IMAX Theater in Darling Harbour is worth a visit. Also, if you are an elephant, orangutan or animal lover, go to see Born To Be Wild! Plus, you have to admit that Morgan Freeman has the best narrating voice ever...

Check out the trailer for Born To Be Wild:

1 comment:

  1. A lot of aspiring students go to foreign universities for studies and the main aim of them is to secure good grades & skills, get the degree and have better future. For this students shouldn’t have any unnecessary stress and have all the time to focus on their studies. The main issue which stresses the students is a comfortable place to live and this becomes all the more difficult with so many providers. Get your Student Accommodation booked beforehand, their team not only help you find the best place to stay but also assist you from booking till your last day of stay.

    ReplyDelete