Friday, May 13, 2011

Starbucks is for tourists!

For those of you that enjoy your Venti upside down caramel macchiato with 2 pumps of vanilla syrup and extra whip cream at the on campus Starbucks at your home university…you will be in for a shocking alternative when you go in search of fulfilling your caffeine addiction at the on campus coffee shops at the University of Sydney. The coffee shops at the University only have a limited selection of choices and only two sizes: small and large. The large size is about the size of a Tall Starbucks beverage! When I first went to get a coffee on campus, I was shocked how small the large size was because I usually opt for the Grande or Venti at Starbucks. I am also accustomed to getting a white chocolate mocha and when I asked the barista if they made white chocolate mochas she looked at me with a blank expression and said “Honey, you can have a flat white or a mocha.” Then she asked me to repeat what I was asking for and she said she had never heard of a white chocolate mocha! Disappointed, but willing to try something new, I decided to get the mocha, which cost $3.80 for the large (Including the Access Card discount)!

Australia has a huge coffee culture and they take great pride in making their coffee “the right way.” Every cup of coffee is made with an espresso machine and freshly ground coffee as well as steamed milk and chocolate powder on top (if you are getting a mocha). At first, I was not satisfied, but I have now grown quite fond of the Australian coffee choices.
When I was at Circular Quay I saw a Starbucks on Pitt Street and I was super excited! Behold –Starbucks!…the place where I can get my beloved white chocolate mocha! I ordered a Grande and was actually quite dissatisfied. The coffee did not even seem like coffee to me anymore, it tasted like hot milk with no coffee. Since then, I have noticed that Starbucks in Australia is only located in the “touristy” areas of Sydney, such as Circular Quay, Darling Harbour, near Hyde Park, and on George Street.

However, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Gloria Jean’s in Australia has a white chocolate mocha that is simply glorious. I only went to Gloria Jean’s because Cole’s was giving away vouchers for “Buy one regular coffee and get the 2nd for $1.00.” I went with a friend for a coffee date and we split the cost. At Gloria Jean’s you have access to your own caramel sauce, chocolate powder, and sprinkles (Beware – you may go overboard). I have noticed that in Australia a majority of people eat the foam of their coffees with a little spoon before putting on the lid to drink it. I still want to try a Tim Tam flavored drink, which is an Australian signature. (Tim Tams are chocolate biscuits that are exclusive to Australia- you should definitely try them!) I suggest buying Tim Tams at Cole’s when they are on sale…usually two packages for $4.00 or if it is a really good sale then three packages for $5.00!
If you are a frequent coffee connoisseur, don’t forget to ask for a coffee card that will get you a free coffee after so many purchases! I have a coffee card for on campus and Gloria Jean’s! All in all, I hate to say that Starbucks may never be the same to me again after experiencing Australia’s coffee culture.

I did enjoy this quote at Starbucks:

No comments:

Post a Comment