Thursday, April 28, 2011

Behold...The REAL Black Swan

One evening when I was walking past the pond in Victoria Park (which is in front of the entrance of the University of Sydney) I noticed two black swans! It was truly a rare and magical sight! (Of course, I could not help but think of the Natalie Portman film, Black Swan as well) They were so elegant and mystical looking with their long necks. Whenever one moved around the pond, the other one closely followed suit. I was so disappointed that I did not have my camera on me!

That evening I made a seemingly obvious note to self:
Always, always, always have a camera! There might be things that you see that you may not have the chance to see again.
However, I was fortunate to find the black swans in the pond again one afternoon so I snapped a few shots. At one point, they came very close to me. It was wonderful to see the luscious black feathers and the bright red beak up close.
Black swans can be found throughout Australia and once they pair, they are paired for life. I really enjoyed reading about the black swans on the Australian Museum website. You can read more about them here.
When you come to Australia, I hope you have the opportunity to cast an eye upon these beautiful creatures!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm traveling to USyd for semester 2 and have TONS of questions for you. I found your blog on the UC EAP facebook, and really enjoy reading it! If you don't mind, can you respond with your email or FB so I can contact you? Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Congrats on your acceptance into the University of Sydney. I would be happy to help answer your questions. You can email me at afoote@uci.edu

    ReplyDelete